Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

29 Jun 2013

Why the Biblical Languages Matter—Even if You Forget Them

/
Posted By

Michael Kruger makes some excellent points on this subject over at his blog, Canon Fodder. He notes:

But, there is a second assumption behind the “take your medicine” approach to the biblical languages. Many students assume that the study of the languages is useless if the specifics are forgotten at a later point.   Indeed, this may be the biggest assumption in the mind of today’s seminary students.

This assumption, however, is profoundly mistaken.  Even if a student forgets every single vocabulary word and every verb paradigm, the intensive study of the languages during seminary still plays an enormously significant role.  Put simply, it helps students think textually.

Prior to learning the languages, most of us simply do not know how to think on a textual level when it comes to studying the Scripture.   But after learning Greek or Hebrew (even if we forget it), we now understand grammar, syntax, logical flow, and sentence structure.  Moreover, we understand the way words work, how their meaning is determined (or not determined), the importance of context, and the avoidance of certain exegetical fallacies.

These factors alone are incredibly important for proper interpretation of the text and preparation of a sermon.   And they are drilled into our heads when we take the biblical languages—even if we forget them later.

5 Responses

1. Jake Collins

As a lay-person, I’m wondering. doyou think that if one studies scripture from a well-translated English version of the Bible, with a focus on gaining a textual and contextual understanding, that he can experience the quality of understanding that one would experience from studying in the original languages?

2. Bill Combs

I think you may be able to come close. Pastors and others who know the original languages still rely heavily on commentaries and other works by experts in the field. Lay people, unfortunately, generally do not make use of these resources. Sometimes for good reason. The best of these resources make use of the languages, so if one has no knowledge of them, they may feel overwhelmed.

I think most lay people would be helped by studying in several English versions and using some good commentaries. But also of vital importance is to gain a good knowledge of the theology of the Bible (systematic theology), so that one has a way to evaluate the knowledge one gains from studying the Scriptures in a expository form.

3. Don Johnson

I think Kruger makes a good point, I’ve forgotten most of my Hebrew, wish I had taken more, but I am able to think about the structure of the OT to some extent (and follow the commentaries). I do better with Greek.

On the layman question, I wonder if studying any language other than one’s native tongue might not provide some of the benefits Kruger is talking about?

Maranatha!
    Don Johnson
    Jer 33.3

4. Don Johnson

Maranatha!
    Don Johnson
    Jer 33.3

5. Don Johnson

Oops, sorry about the double post, my mouse is acting weird today. Double-clicking on its own…